A major supplement for the excellent Beyond The Wall & Other Adventures RPG has been released by Flatland Games, offering systems to expand your campaigns into a 'sandbox' format.
Further Afield, available in print or PDF from DrivethruRPG, is a 108-page supplement that offers guidelines and rules to create and run an extended campaign in the same collaborative spirit as the original game.
Now the players and gamemaster work together to create the myths, legends, and rumors of a unique setting. Included in this book are all the necessary tools to create your world, travel and explore within it, defeat great and terrible adversaries, and reap the rewards of adventures even further beyond the wall.
• Collaborative player-driven campaign creation for making your own shared sandbox.The introduction to the supplement explains the concept of the "shared sandbox":
• Threat Packs for dynamic villains and dangers affecting the world beyond the village.
• Helpful hints and systems for integrating new characters into existing groups.
• Rules for creating magical items through your crafts, deeds, or sorcerous powers.
• Four Threat Packs, including the Blighted Land and the Vengeful Wyrm.
In this style of campaign, the group works together to develop an open setting with several hazards, rewards, and story hooks dangling out in the wilderness beyond the walls of their village. Players take turns placing interesting locations on a map, tell stories about the myths of their people and the rumors their friends and travelers are telling, and then go investigate these things to see how true they are and what treasures and dangers await them. This is the low-prep campaign.Anyone who has read, or played, Beyond The Wall will recognise this approach as a variation of the one used in character creation, but expanded onto a broader canvas - beyond the player-characters' home village.