For the inaugural episode of the new SIX OF THE BEST, I couldn't think of a better blogger to profile than Calvin Heighton, of Calvin's Canadian Cave Of Coolness, who I consider the "godfather of blogging" and an inspiration.
Take it away, Calvin...
(1) How long have you been blogging, and how’d you get into it in the first place?
About eight years ago I was watching Mongol, the story of Genghis Khan and wanted to talk about it. I had been playing around with Blogger and posted my opinion as a test and it worked. It was thrilling to have my stuff online but that first follower took about a year and a half to arrive. Once I realized that commenting on other sites was the way to get my site noticed I was off and running. Haven't looked back since except to enjoy my archives. I had a website back when that was very much like the one Homer Simpson made when he first got online. No flying toasters though, but lots of GIFs. Thankfully no one can see that first attempt any longer. No comments...EVER on that first blog.
(2) What do you blog about and how frequently do you post?
I post multiple times a day. I am insanely prolific. I type very fast so I usually can do many posts in an hour. The image posts are easy to do in minutes. I blog about popular culture and all the things that I think are cool. I like to give my opinions because I think everything that comes out of my brain is genius. Like a hummingbird I move quickly from one place and thought to another so I can always find something to entertain myself and if I am entertained then it's easy to post about that topic. I love beautiful images no matter the subject.
(3) How does your blog stand out from all the rest?
I think there is a ton of content and things change all the time. There is always something new for followers to see when they log on - sometimes too much stuff. I am sure I could do less but it's not a burden. I think I have a definite POV and a great sense of humor about things I see. I like that I am current with my movie and TV reviews. I think I also attract a more discriminating class of followers.
(4) What’s the best (and worst) thing about blogging?
The best are the comments and the worst are the comments. I love the validation but it drives me insane when I work on a post over several days and it gets ZERO comments. I realize that sometimes people just get tired of telling someone their work is great but the validation is always nice. I admit I need the validation more than I should but that need strongly motivates me to create a good product I am proud of.
|Cal is well-known for his 'funny animal' captions|
(5) Do you have any self-imposed rules (or guidelines) for your blog?
1. I don't work BLUE because I don't have to. I could show naked women that are beautiful but that gets boring fast. Like working at a strip club. You don't even notice after awhile. I do love a pretty face though.(6) Name one blog everyone should be reading (other than your own). cheers, Tim.
2. An image must accompany every post.
3. I write every blog myself. Never have had a guest blog but never really asked anyone to do one anyways. I am always afraid that I will have to tell them NO and I don't like to do that. Besides, if they are more popular than me I will go mental.
4. In my image captions, the animal always is speaking even when they are posing with a person.
Just check out my blog list on the page. That is my source for material and where my interests lie. Each site is updated regularly with fresh content to inspire me.