Without a doubt it is the most 'packed' box set I've acquired, almost overflowing with content (as can be seen in my amateurish 'unboxing video' below):
From the first moment I saw Cynthia Sheppard's stunning artwork for the box cover (see above in all its glory) I knew that (a) the game would be mine and (b) it would be the most likely Old School iteration of Dungeons and Dragons to pull me away from my current Fourth Edition mini-obsession and back into my "comfort zone".
Upon first opening, I discovered the box contains:
- Bag of little dice;
- A "welcome" (and "warning") note;
- Four core booklets - Tutorial; Rules; Magic; and Referee;
- Two adventures - Tower of The Stargazer; and Weird New World (a sandbox setting);
- Recommended reading pamphlet;
- Character sheets;
- Mapping paper (squares on one side, hexes on other);
- Flyers for Expeditious Retreat Press and Dragonsfoot; and
- A copy of the OGL (rather than wasting a couple of pages - that no-one will ever read - in each booklet)
There are plenty of well-written, in-depth reviews of this product already out there in our little corner of the Interwebz, so I won't even attempt to express a knowledgeable opinion on the contents just yet. Instead I refer you to here and here to get an idea of what joys lie ahead of me.