Historically the most enduring campaign I have played in was Nick's Traveller campaign in the '80s.
As well as Nick staging it like a television show (before that was de rigueur in gaming), it was notable because (a) it was played straight-out-the-book - no houserules (no one houserules Traveller, do they?) and (b) we had pre-generated characters.
Continuing my pre-(non-)Apocalypse musings about future campaign ideas (and remember I intend to take 2013 off from running games, so I can get to play more), my initial thoughts are to develop a straight-up, costumes-and-cape superhero campaign - to echo my love of comic books and superhero movies - using either Villains & Vigilantes, ICONS! or - my latest brainwave - the wonderful old TSR Marvel Super Heroes.
But taking a leaf out of Nick's book, I'm thinking of pre-generating characters for the Tuesday Knights, so I can tailor adventures to the characters and their backgrounds ahead of time and have a campaign outline in the bag ready for when I return to Gamesmastering.
I'm also looking back at the V&V campaign that Steve ran, which eventually morphed into HeroPress, for inspiration.
Steve suggested some idea ago the idea of an "Ultimate" HeroPress campaign - aping the idea of Marvel's Ultimate Universe as opposed to its mainstream Universe - and this is something that has long been percolating at the back of my tiny mind.
I know Steve is running a V&V campaign for his kids, which features older versions of our characters as background NPCs, so I'd like to be considerate of that... just because. But this "Ultimate" idea allows me to revisit our old characters (thus allowing for possible guest appearances from Silverfist and The Acrobatic Flea) and update old villains and supporting characters.
My current thinking for the team line-up is:
- Pete - as Hurricane, his longest-serving character from our old campaign, but with his robot sidekick Brutus transformed into an Iron Man-style suit of armour: B.R.U.T.U.S. (Battle Ready Utility Transport ... I haven't come up with a full acronym yet)
- Merdith as a sort of Black Widow-esque superninja/thief (as that's the kind of character she likes to play in RPGs and online games)
- Clare - as either a witch character (à la Zatanna or the Scarlet Witch) or a war goddess - as the team's Thor analogue.
- Simon - possibly as the alien Exarch Farillor (codename: Icestorm), the team's answer to the Martian Manhunter or even possibly Superman.
- Kevin - I'm thinking an android character, like the Vision or Andy from A Town Called Eureka.