A new Ubiquity licensee has launched a Kickstarter this week to fund the first book in a planned series of modern day cosmic horror RPG supplements.
Quantum Black Games is looking to raise $7,999 by August 27 to publish Quantum Black: Cosmic Horrors, a self-contained Ubiquity-driven RPG about heroes fighting back against evil cults, hidden supernatural threats and horrors from beyond space and time.
This will be the first modern day setting published for the Ubiquity rules (which can currently be found in Hollow Earth Expedition, Space: 1889, Leagues of Adventure, All For One etc) and, among other things, will bring new magic, sanity and technology to the system.
With the book's Lovecraftian overtones, it will also allow you to add Deep Ones, Shoggoth, and general mythos fun to any Ubiquity game.
The core rulebook (approx. 400 pages) will, according to the campaign's Kickstarter page, contain:
- 12 new Character Archetypes - from the Drifter to the Zeppo
- 12 ready-to-play characters, including the Accidental Occultist, the Corporate Mastermind, the Techie, and Ex-Gang Member
- 20 new monsters including Deep Ones, Shoggoth and the Zoot are described in the included Cosmic Horrors Bestiary
- The team role concept which is used to improve balance in the overall roleplaying experience
- 4 new Talents appropriate for supernatural horror 5 new skills for 21st century occult and science adventures, such as Computers and Supernatural Lore
- 11 new Flaws to distinguish your character
- 7 new Motivations to explain why characters face the terrors of the night
- 21st Century equipment, such as drones, Tasers, and computers
- New methods for categorizing weapons and weapon types, allowing you to create and customize weapons for your own campaign are presented
Make sure you visit the Kickstarter page to check out the full range of investor incentives, as well as the planned stretch goals once the fundraiser hits its primary target.
You can also learn more about the background and mechanics of Quantum Black via The Designer's Blog, which can be found through the Quantum Black website.
Depending of the success of this project a couple of future Kickstarters are on the cards to fund Quantum Black supplements.
- Book 2: Supernatural Terrors (Kickstarter: December 2016), which will focus on more traditional horrors such as undead, demons, and other nightmarish mythic creatures. In addition, powerful new magics, more advanced equipment, and additional character options will be provided.
- Book 3: Science Unbound: Cataclysm (working title, Kickstarter TBD), which will feature menaces out of science, including robots, cyborgs, and genetic engineering. New character equipment and options, including psychic powers, will be introduced, as the story of the world of Quantum Black advances.
Very wisely, the creators of Quantum Black stress that these books "are not being included as stretch goals in this Kickstarter, because we want to focus on one major project at a time".
If you're reading this and you happen to be a Gen Con today, then the people behind the game (Scott Jones and Ron Loz) will be running events as part of the Den of Ubiquity Event tonight (Friday).