British RPG publisher Modiphius is looking to launch its Kickstarter to fund the production of the John Carter Of Mars game in early January.
Details were revealed in a recent e-newsletter:
John Carter of Mars - Adventures on The Dying World of Barsoom is a planetary romance tabletop role-playing game. We've created it in under license and with the cooperation of the estate of Edgar Rice Burroughs, author of the original Barsoom novels and with the guidance of Scott Tracy Griffin one of the leading scholars of his works to ensure utmost authenticity.The newsletter talks of miniatures and collectable editions of the rulebooks, suggesting to me that if you want to be 'all-in' it's going to cost serious spondoolicks, something I'm pretty certain I'm no longer in a position to spend.
Using a pulp-action inspired lite variant of Modiphius' 2d20 system called Momentum, John Carter of Mars allows players to take the role of various adventurers and heroes as they travel, battle, and romance their way across the a wondrous and dangerous world known to its natives as Barsoom. Play as John Carter, the princess Dejah Thoris, the fearsome Thark Tars Tarkas or you can create your own new heroes from a wide variety of options.
Included in this book are:
- An overview of Burrough's Barsoom and its peoples, perfect to introduce new players to the wondrous world of John Carter of Mars.
- Detailed chapters on technology, creatures, and various cultures.
- A new skillless Talent focused variation of the 2d20 system, including a step by step character generation system designed to make heroes from a variety of backgrounds and concepts. Choose a wide variety of characters such as a dashing Red Martian duelist, a brilliant First Born scientist, a savage Beastmaster, a courageous airship officer, a disciplined assassin, or even Earthborn characters, so players can follow in the bounding footsteps of John Carter himself!
- A detailed Narrator's section with information on how to run genre and setting appropriate games and campaigns, including information about the great secrets of Barsoom.
- Three eras of play based on the adventures of John Carter himself. Play during the early days of Dotar Sojat, adventure during the time when Carter was a Prince of Helium and in the years after when he was believed dead, or fight alongside Carter and his allies during the later Jeddak of Jeddaks era.
- An introductory adventure, the Mind Merchants of Mars, to get players and Narrators started on their adventures.
My experiences with Modiphius in the past year also haven't been that encouraging: I placed two orders with them and both got screwed up in some way.
I love the idea of a swords-and-planet John Carter RPG and have been waiting an age for this, but am now pretty certain it got pipped at the post by Pinnacle's Flash Gordon game.
We shall see, though, when the Kickstarter is launched. And the miniatures do look lovely.